The University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences presents “Art & Garden,” Saturday October 5, at the North Florida Research and Education Center (NFREC) in Quincy. The free event will highlight creative ways to explore visual art and the art of gardening.
Spend the day learning, discovering and engaging in fun activities for the whole family. Learn about floral arranging, container gardens, native plants that attract wildlife, and combating pests and invasive plants in your garden. Join a walking tour of the Gardens or take a trolley tour to view cold-hardy citrus and deciduous fruit. Watch plein-air artists painting on-site throughout the garden. Discover how to make mosaic stepping stones as well as birdbaths from large leaves. Children can spend the day painting pumpkins, planting sweet potato sprouts to take home, or painting, drawing, and making birdfeeders with staff and volunteers from the Gadsden Arts Center.
An exciting array of trees, shrubs, flowers, organic produce and arts and crafts will be for sale. NFREC staff will be offering free soil testing and a plant disease clinic, so bring a sample of your soil or a clipping of a plant problem from your home garden. The day-long, family-friendly event is free and open to the public.
Saturday, October 5, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm EDT
University of Florida/IFAS, North Florida Research and Education Center, 155 Research Road, Quincy, FL. Located just north of I-10 Exit 181, 3 miles south of Quincy, off Pat Thomas Highway, SR 267.
Presented by the University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, North Florida Research and Education Center in collaboration with the Gadsden Arts Center, Gardening Friends of the Big Bend, Havana Garden Club, Quincy Garden Club, and the Tallahassee Plein-Air Artists. Sponsored in part by the Gadsden County Tourist Development Council.
For more information check out the NFREC WEBSITE
- 9:00 am Event begins
Plant, produce and art sales by vendors
- 9:30 am Walking Tour of the Garden with Dr. Gary Knox—See new plants and capture information on your smart phone via QR codes
- 10:00 am How to Make Mosaic Stepping Stones
Wendy Adams, Havana Garden Club
- 10:30 am Trolley Tour — Cold Hardy Citrus and Deciduous Fruits
Dr. Pete Andersen and Dr. Russ Mizell
- 11:00 am Floral Arranging Demonstration
Kay Edwards, Quincy Garden Club
- 12:00 am Art Lecture, “Getting a Lay of the Land”
Dr. Katerie Gladdys, University of Florida School of Art
~ First Silent Auction ends ~
- 1:00 pm How to Make and Decorate Elephant Ear Birdbaths
Cathy Boatright, Havana Garden Club
- 1:30 pm Trolley Tour — New Plastic Mulches for Vegetable Production
Dr. Josh Freeman
- 2:00 pm How to Make a Container Garden
Dr. Gary Knox
- 3:00 pm Walking Tour of the Garden with Dr. Gary Knox – See new plants and capture information on your smart phone via QR codes
~ Second Silent Auction ends ~
- 3:30 pm Raffle Winner Announced and Children’s Art Show Best in Show Announced
- 4:00 pm Event ends
By Dawn McMillan and Gary Knox