The Florida Beef Cattle Short Course is one of the premier educational events provided annually by the University of Florida. The 2017 Beef Cattle Short Course will be held May 3-5 in Gainesville, Florida on the campus of the University of Florida. This year marks the 66th year of the Florida Beef Cattle Short Course, the longest running, large-scale beef education event in the US. The 66th Short Course will be held at the Alto and Patricia Straughn IFAS Extension Professional Development Center, located at 2142 Shealy Drive, Gainesville, Florida 32611.
The first part of this year’s agenda, “Preparing Production Profit Centers” beginning the afternoon of Wednesday, May 3, 2017 will start with a Market Outlook. Forecasting the trends in the beef industry are key for enterprise decision making. The afternoon will continue with discussion comparing beef cattle’s use of protein relative to other livestock. Understanding the production advantages that beef cattle possess and the knowledge to share that with our consumers is imperative. Next is a look at a Florida cattle enterprise’s production philosophy, and value-added opportunities for Florida cattle; good things are going on in the state of Florida and we want to highlight those and inform the cattlemen about further opportunities. The program wraps up with a light-hearted discussion about sourcing production information on the internet. The day ends with a reception and opportunity to discuss the afternoon’s presentations.
Thursday’s morning agenda will concentrate on cow herd management topics including tools to assess reproductive development, genetic tools, cow nutrition, and pasture management. These topics will provide cattle producers, of all levels of experience, information to make better management decisions and improve the potential to affect future profitability. This year the Allied Trade Show will be held in conjunction with the program on Thursday afternoon, but at the newly renovated Beef Teaching Unit from noon to closing. This will offer an enhanced opportunity for interaction between Beef Cattle Short Course participants and our Allied Industry Exhibits. This opportunity to visit with industry representatives about new products and technologies is a valuable opportunity not to be missed. Thursday afternoon we will also have several opportunities for participants to view and learn about calf processing, feedstuff characteristics, evaluating mineral products, reproduction technologies, and EPD’s. The evening will conclude with the Cattlemen’s Steak-Out, and an opportunity to visit with friends over great food and cold drinks.
Friday morning will consist of a number of presentations that combine updates of research conducted at the University of Florida and topics of importance to the cattle producer regarding cattle nutrient profiling and animal programing, muscle profiling, and integrated nutritional systems facing Florida cattle enterprises.
We are excited about our line-up of speakers this year that include national, regional, and in-state experts to cover the diverse topics that are important to the beef industry. Each year our desire is that we put together a program that meets educational needs, challenges conventional thinking, and provides new information for cattle producers. Our biggest complement is when participants continue talking about speakers and their content throughout the year. The Program Committee and I welcome you to attend the 66th Annual Florida Beef Cattle Short Course. This promises to be an exciting program with great information. We look forward to seeing you in Gainesville May 3– 5, 2017!
For registration please visit the website below:
or go to the Eventbrite website (www.eventbrite.com) and search “beef cattle short course.” Early registration ends April 30th, after that participants can register at the door.
2017 Florida Beef Cattle Short Course Agenda (subject to change)
Wednesday, May 3, 2017 – Straughn Extension Education Center – UF Campus, Gainesville
- 12:00 Registration
- 1:00 Welcome
- 1:15 FL Cattlemen’s Comments -Ned Waters, President FCA, Bartow, FL
- 1:30 Market Outlook -Chris Prevatt, UF/Range Cattle Research & Education Center, Ona, FL
- 2:15 Efficiency of Protein Use by Beef Cattle -Tryon Wickersham, Texas A&M Univ., College Station, TX
- 3:00 Refreshment Break
- 3:30 Economic Sustainability in the Florida Cow Herd -Flint Johns, Lykes Bros. Ranch, Okeechobee, FL
- 4:15 Florida Ranchers Beef Program Don Quincey, Quincey Cattle Co., Chiefland, FL
- 4:45 Everything I Need to Know I Learned From the Internet -Matt Hersom & Todd Thrift, UF/Animal Sciences, Gainesville, FL
- 5:30 Reception
Thursday, May 4, 2017 – Straughn Extension Education Center – UF Campus, Gainesville
- 8:30 Reproductive Tract Score: Tool or Something Else -Todd Thrift, UF/Animal Sciences, Gainesville, FL
- 9:15 Using Genomics to Affect Cow Herd Reproduction -Matt Spangler, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE
- 10:00 Refreshment Break
- 10:30 Managing Cow Nutrition -Jason Smith, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- 11:15 Pasture Management for Optimal Productivity -Jennifer Tucker, The Univ. of Georgia, Tifton, GA
- 12:00 Lunch and Allied Industry Trade Show – new Beef Teaching Unit, UF Campus Gainesville
- 1:30 Experiential Learning Demonstrations
- Calf Processing, Carcass Ultrasound, Oocyte Pickup Technology, EPD’s Simplified, Feed ID and Application, Reading Mineral Tags, Facility Design (topic subjects to change)
- 6:00 Steak-Out – Horse Teaching Unit, UF Campus Gainesville
Friday, May, 5, 2017 – Straughn Extension Education Center – UF Campus, Gainesville
- 8:00 2016 Feeder -Finish Calf Demo Recap -Todd Thrift, UF/Animal Sciences, Gainesville, FL
- 8:30 Nutrient Profiling -Mineral Supplementation -Matt Hersom, UF/Animal Sciences, Gainesville, FL
- 9: 15 Nutrient Profiling -Metabolic Imprinting -Philipe Moriel, UF/Range Cattle Research & Education Center, Ona, FL
- 10:00 Refreshment Break
- 10:30 Muscle Profiling -Tracy Scheffler, UF/Animal Sciences, Gainesville, FL
- 11:15 Integrated Nutritional Systems Nicolas DiLorenzo, UF/North Florida Research and Education Center, Marianna, FL
- 12:00 Adjourn
Use the following links for more details:
2017 Florida Beef Cattle Short Course Brochure
(printer friendly brocure with schedule and registration details)
2017 Florida Beef Cattle Short Course
(website with links to registration and proceedings from previous years)