The holiday season will soon be upon us. A “Green“ Holiday focuses on finding ways to reduce consumption by using renewable resources and reusing or repurposing objects. Practicing these principles can fit in line with holiday celebrations, making it a time of sustaining traditions as well as helping the environment. Here are some fun ideas for “greening“ your holiday season when it comes to wrapping gifts.
It is not about sacrifice; it is about an opportunity to…..
- Wrap gifts with brown paper bags, newspaper, or reused wrapping paper.
- Create personal wrapping paper with stamps or collages, or drawing on paper bags.
- Avoid wrapping altogether and tie a large bow around an item instead.
- Make the wrapping part of the gift such as using reusable tins, planting pots, or new towels.
- Give presents or gift certificates from local businesses.
- Focus on homemade or non-traditional gifts such as baked goods, plants, fishing licenses, dance classes, travel mugs, local art, or battery chargers.
- If giving appliances or electronics, make sure they are Energy Star-certified.
- Make donations in someone’s name to charities or conservation organizations. Investigate to see if any organization in the area is offering an alternative giving holiday festival.
- Give “time”. Help an older relative with difficult chores or take children to a park.
- Teach someone a skill or talent you have.
Investing time and creativity into the holiday can help make it more fulfilling and meaningful for you, your family, and your friends.
Latest posts by Shelley Swenson (see all)
- Putting the WOW in Halloween - September 25, 2016
- Families Should Play Together for Exercise - May 19, 2016
- Sweets for Your Sweetie - January 15, 2016