Florida 4-H is excited to announce the First Annual Florida 4-H Tailgating Contest sponsored by Sonny’s BBQ & Winn Dixie Supermarkets on October 3rd. The purpose of this new contest is to promote the use of animal protein in the diet by teaching the art and science of safely preparing beef, pork, poultry, and seafood in an outdoor setting. Investment in this activity will provide 4-H youth with life skills, including decision making, healthy lifestyle choices, and communication.
More information about the state contest can be found online, but many counties also offer workshops and day camps to help volunteers and youth prepare.
2018 Northwest District Tailgating District Contest– Saturday, June 30th @ at the Washington County Agricultural Center, 1424 Jackson Ave. Chipley, FL 32428
- Bay, Calhoun, Escambia, Franklin, Gadsden, Gulf, Holmes, Jackson, Jefferson, Leon, Liberty, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa, Wakulla, Walton, Washington
- Coordinator: Mark Mauldin email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Who is eligible? All bona fide Florida 4-H members who are between 11 and 18 years of age prior to September 1, 2017. All participants are REQUIRED to prepare their recipe in the presence of a parent or guardian prior to the contest. There must be at least four participants in a protein division for that division to be included in the contest. No teams or pairs will be allowed. Contestants must compete as individuals.
- What will the contest consist of? Contestants will have 2.5 hours to prepare a beef, pork, poultry (1/2 chicken or turkey breast must be presented to judges), or seafood (shrimp) dish on a provided 14” charcoal grill. Electric charcoal starters are not permitted. More information about contest logistics and scoring is found here @ Florida 4-H Tailgating Contest. For the poultry division the contestants must begin the competition with a whole packaged chicken or a whole boneless turkey breast. (The poultry division is a little different because it is serving as the qualifier for the national poultry BBQ contest.) The State winner for poultry (chicken/turkey) will be eligible to participate in the National competition in Louisville, KY. For rules, visit http://www2.ca.uky.edu/national4hpoultry/ for more information.
- How do I learn more? A twenty minute “How & What to Do” video is posted to Tailgate Contest Videos
- How do I sign up? 4-H members must meet contest requirements and notify their county agent. County agents should then email Chad Carr @ firstname.lastname@example.org and a password will be issued for those 4-H members to register on Eventbrite by 5 pm on the date 10 days prior to the contest. The cap of 10 4-H members per protein category will be first-come-first serve.
- What will I receive for participating? All participants will receive a cooking thermometer and a $25 voucher from Winn-Dixie Supermarkets to purchase ingredients for the contest. After the competition, all participants will receive a $15 gift certificate to eat at a Sonny’s BBQ location.
Videos to help you prepare: