The 2021 District 4-H Tailgating Contest sponsored by Sonny’s BBQ & Winn Dixie Supermarkets will be Saturday, July 31st at the Washington County Agricultural Center, 1424 Jackson Ave. Chipley, FL 32428. The purpose of this contest is to promote the use of animal protein in the diet by teaching the art and science of safely preparing beef, pork, poultry, and seafood in an outdoor setting. Investment in this activity will provide 4-H youth with life skills, including decision making, healthy lifestyle choices, and communication. The district contest is open to 4-H members in Bay, Calhoun, Escambia, Franklin, Gadsden, Gulf, Holmes, Jackson, Jefferson, Leon, Liberty, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa, Wakulla, Walton, Washington.
For more information, download the Tailgate Contest Rules. Most counties offer workshops or day caps to help youth prepare over the summer, but you can also refer to this Tailgating Resource Guide for Volunteers.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Who is eligible? All bona fide Florida 4-H members who are between 11 and 18 years of age prior to September 1, 2017. All participants are REQUIRED to prepare their recipe in the presence of a parent or guardian prior to the contest. There must be at least four participants in a protein division for that division to be included in the contest. No teams or pairs will be allowed. Contestants must compete as individuals.
- What will the contest consist of? Contestants will have 2.5 hours to prepare a beef, pork, poultry, or seafood dish on a provided 14” charcoal grill. Electric charcoal starters are not permitted.
- How do I learn more? A twenty minute “How & What to Do” video is posted to Tailgate Contest Videos
- How do I sign up? 4-H members must meet contest requirements and notify their county agent; members should contact their local UF IFAS County Extension Office to register.
- What will I receive for participating? All participants will receive a cooking thermometer and a $25 voucher from Winn-Dixie Supermarkets to purchase ingredients for the contest. After the competition, all participants will receive a $15 gift certificate to eat at a Sonny’s BBQ location.
Videos to help you prepare: