Looking for a colorful and fresh side dish? Then you should try roasting your vegetables! Roasted vegetables are quick, easy, and flavorful. When roasted, vegetables become brown and crisp on the outside, making their natural sugars caramelize. This caramelization process makes the vegetables sweet and full of flavor. An added bonus of roasting your vegetables is that they require very little prep time.
Vegetables are an important part of our diet. The US Dietary Guidelines recommend that fruits and vegetables fill half our plate (USDA, 2015). Vegetables are packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber, and are low in calories.
SOME SEASONAL VEGETABLES THAT ARE DELICIOUS WHEN ROASTED:
- Whole Cauliflower: Pull all the leaves off and remove part of the core. Add 1 tbsp. of olive oil into a pan, add the whole cauliflower, cut side down, and add salt and pepper. Roast at 400ºF for 45 minutes to an hour, until well-browned on the outside.
- Asparagus: Trim off the tough ends and put the spears in a pan with 1 tbsp. olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast at 400ºF for 10-15 minutes, depending on thickness.
- Green Beans: Just like the asparagus. Trim off the tips, toss with 1 tbsp. olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add to pan, and roast at 400ºF for 15 minutes.
- Broccoli: Trim off the leaves and cut up into florets. Add 1 tbsp. olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast at 400ºF for 35 minutes. When roasting broccoli, the florets will end up singed a bit, but the stalks will become soft, sweet, and delicious.
- Carrots: Peel carrots; cook them whole or split in half lengthwise. Add 1 tbsp. olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast at 400ºF for 30-40 minutes.
- Brussels sprouts: Trim off the ends, toss with 1 tbsp. olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast at 425ºF for 40 minutes. The sprouts will be crispy and wonderful when roasted.
2015–2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans: https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/
Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Fresh from Florida website http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Food-Nutrition/Buy-Fresh-From-Florida