As a 4-H Agent, one of the things I am most grateful for is volunteers. Our volunteers are leaders, cheerleaders, mentors, and advocates for our youth. It is with their help and service that many young people find their voice or passion and become healthy, capable, caring, and productive adults.
Volunteers assist by:
- leading club meetings
- serving as camp counselors
- judging speech and demonstration contests
- serving on advisory committees, and
- utilizing their unique interests, skills, and abilities to serve the 4-H program and extend it to audiences which would otherwise be unserved.
In the process, our volunteers shape future leaders by demonstrating leadership skills, instilling a sense of community, and offering a positive connection with someone from a different age group or generation. And while they do not serve for praise or recognition, many volunteers get a great deal of fulfillment, self-satisfaction, and enjoyment in volunteer service, as they watch youth develop self-confidence, self-worth, and leadership skills
Whether they serve episodically or for many years, volunteers are a valuable and essential component of 4-H. Without their help, 4-H could not deliver the excellent programs that are the cornerstone of Extension.
To all of the volunteers in the district, thank you for all you do.
Learn more about volunteering with Florida 4-H or contact your local UF/IFAS Extension to learn about 4-H in your county and discuss your possibilities with your 4-H Agent.
We’ll be highlighting more about 4-H volunteers during the month of April, so be on the lookout for some great stories!
- Red Carpet Ready Teens! - March 3, 2023
- Meet the Author- John Lilly - July 24, 2021
- Senior Spotlight: Jada Mosley, Jefferson County - June 5, 2020