4-H offers many different ways for volunteers to get involved. No matter how much time you have, volunteering with 4-H makes a difference by helping youth grow skills and knowledge that last a lifetime. Here are a few ways you can engage as a volunteer with 4-H:
- Help youth lead a club- our 4-H clubs are led by youth officers and members, but they need adult guidance. Most clubs meet once a month during the school months, but some clubs meet more frequently for a shorter period of time.
- Teach a skill- share a skill by speaking at a club meeting, teaching a workshop, or leading a project. Florida 4-H offers more than 60 different project areas!
- Judge projects- we need judges to provide constructive feedback to youth on their project work.
- Plan or help with an event- 4-H offers many events throughout the year and we need volunteers to help with the planning, set up, registration, refreshments, and of course- clean up!
- Serve on an advisory committee or board- each county has an advisory committee to help provide direction and financial oversight of 4-H funds.
- Be a project mentor- Advise a 4-H member on their project work- help youth set goals, implement a plan, and reflect on what they learned.
- Help deliver a program- Volunteer at an afterschool project, summer program, or school garden.
- Serve on a fair committee- Volunteer with your local or regional fair to help provide learning experiences for youth.
- Share your professional skills- share your technical skills and knowledge with youth. Coach youth on how to build a resumé or interview for a job. Volunteering with 4-H can also be a great resumé builder!
- Share your experiences- share your passion by serving as a guest speaker or short term instructor. Allow youth to shadow you for the day.
Check out this video about different 4-H volunteer service roles:
You can also find detailed descriptions of these service roles on our 4-H club hub site. 4-H can work with you to tailor a service role that fits your interest and schedule. Whether it’s once a week, once a month, or once a year, 4-H needs caring adults like you to inspire the next generation. Contact your local UF IFAS Extension office to start a conversation about how you can contribute to growing #TrueLeaders!
- 4-H County and District Events Showcase Life Skills - April 20, 2023
- What Does a Strong Youth Leadership Team Look Like? - February 10, 2023
- Overview of 4-H Positive Youth Development - February 2, 2023