Please join us in Escambia County for the 2021 Cover Crops and Soil Moisture Field Day at Sam and Scott Walker’s farm on April 15th at 9 AM. For anyone passing by their farm on the corner of Highway 99 and Melvin Road (just one mile south of Oak Grove Baptist Church), and wondering what the Walkers were doing with cover crops and flags – the Walkers started a 10 month long cover crop and soil moisture project in November, and on April 15th, we will go over the project with any interested producer. Drew Schrimsher from GreenPoint Ag has been working with us to establish Florida 401 rye, a very strong winter cover crop at the Walkers. Through FDACS BMP minigrants, 6 soil moisture probes were placed in the field to monitor soil moisture through the winter season. The probes will be removed to get the ground ready and then promptly returned to the field when the Walkers plant their cotton. This dryland field will be managed as the Walkers see fit. The probes will give a longer term view of soil moisture in the plots, and each plot will be harvested to determine yield.
The Field Day will cover particular aspects of soil moisture and cover crops. Several speakers will be on hand to discuss research and overviews of the project. The plan is to demonstrate field equipment to show how to manage this vigorous cover crop to get it ready to plant.
- Sam and Scott Walker: Interest in the Project
- Dr. Mike Mulvaney: Soil Moisture from Cover Crops
- Dr. Audrey Gamble: Nutrient Management and Soil Health
- Drew Schrimsher and Will H. Wendland: Cover Crops in the Southeast
- Dr. Pratap Devkota: Weed control in cover crop situations
- Joshua McElhaney: Programs for Cover Cropping
- Dr. David Wright: History of Cover Crops in the Southeast
We ask that you contact Bethany Caraway either by email or by calling (850-857-2313) to pre-register. No FDACS ceus will be offered, but Certified Crop Advisor points will be available.
As per UF/IFAS guidelines, masks and social distancing are required.
- Gulf Coast Cattlemen’s Conference – August 12 - May 13, 2022
- 2021 On-Farm Cotton Variety Test Results From the Panhandle and Tri-States Region - February 11, 2022
- Alabama Extension Offers Blogs and Podcast for Crop Farmers - February 11, 2022