In continuing this week’s theme and celebration of National 4‑H Week, we want to highlight our last “H” in 4-H, Health. As the 4-H pledge states, I pledge my…health to better living.” Just living a healthy lifestyle in general is a huge endeavor for anyone to accomplish and it takes a lot of awareness of self to accomplish it well. As a 4-Her, not only are we committing to make healthy choices for our own mind, body, and spirit but we are also striving to make healthy choices and conduct ourselves in a manner that is healthy for our club, community, country, and world.
Our agents and volunteers do an amazing job in guiding and inspiring our 4-H youth to learn just how to be aware of and make decisions that lead to such healthy living. Through hands-on learning activities and the experiential learning model, these positive adult role models engage youth to challenge themselves and apply critical thinking skills in order to gain additional essential life skills that aid in balanced physical, mental and emotional health. From healthy living clubs to competitive events such as the Consumer Choices Contest to enrichment programs such as Health Rocks, 4-H brings real life situations and choices to the forefront and teaches youth to be empowered in their healthy decision making.
HEALTH FOR YOU, HEALTH FOR ME
Are you looking for certain areas to help inspire your children or neighborhood youth to make healthy decisions? Is there a particular area in the healthy living realm that you feel your children need some hands-on learning? The Northwest 4-H District have shared some wonderful publications over the recent years, highlighting varying aspects of 4-H Healthy Living. From inspiring youth and volunteers to helpful tips and resources, the articles below are short reads that give great overviews of the 4-H healthy living lifestyle.
The Application of Healthy Living
- Out of Destruction Comes Something of Beauty
- Putting Hands to Larger Service into Action
- Serving Those With Cancer
- Florida 4-H Celebrates Global Youth Service Day
Healthy Living Tips & Helpful Hints
- Teaching Mindfulness to Children
- Tips for Healthier Holiday Cooking
- Healthier, Wealthier, and Wiser in 2019 – Get Organized for a Better You
- “My Head to Clearer Thinking”: Managing Stress
- Staying Healthy While Exercising in Cold Weather
- Handling the Holiday Blues
Inspiring Healthy Reads
- Connecting Healthy Foods to Local Agriculture During 4-H Camp
- Let’s Go Back Outside!
- Happiness in a Hammock at Camp
- 4-H Saves Lives: A Teen’s Trajectory to Thrive
Would you like to become a volunteer that inspires youth to invest in their future? Visit your local UF IFAS County Extension Office and meet your 4-H Extension Agent for additional information on how to become a 4-H Volunteer today to inspire youth to make healthy decisions and conduct themselves in a manner that is healthy for their club, community, country, and world!
- 4-H in the Panhandle
- FL 4-H Healthy Living
- 4th H for Health – Leader Guide
- National 4-H Healthy Living