The Gulf of Mexico Sea Grant Science Outreach Team is proud to announce four new outreach items that are applicable throughout the US and showcases marine microplastics and homeowners’ insurance:
- Marine Microplastics Primer for Extension Professionals – This publication is intended to serve as a guide for extension professionals to aid in answering questions about microplastics that they have encountered or may encounter in the future. The publication can be accessed at https://gulfseagrant.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/MASGP-23-051.pdf.
- Microplastics curriculum –Three marine microplastics curriculums have been developed for grades 8-12. These curricula use NOAA’s Marine Microplastic Portal to guide teachers and students through topics such as marine microplastic sampling techniques, distribution of microplastic concentrations, and the discovery of marine microplastics through time. Teachers can access the curricula https://gulfseagrant.org/emerging-coastal-challenges/marine-debris-plastics-pollution/#lessons.
- Property Insurance Basics – Confused about homeowners’ insurance and what it covers or know people who are? The outreach team has created a publication to share basic information about insurance to help property owners make informed decisions about the amounts and types of protection for their homes. Access to the publication can be found https://gulfseagrant.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/MASGP-23-015.pdf.
- What is Risk Rating 2.0 and how will it affect my flood insurance? –FEMA has updated their risk rating approach through a new pricing method. This change is the biggest change to the way flood insurance premiums are calculated since 1968. Want to learn more about this new system and how it will affect your flood insurance? Click https://gulfseagrant.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/What-is-Risk-Rating-2.0.pdf to access our publication.
- Meet the New Invasive Species on the Barrier Islands; Cogongrass - September 22, 2023
- New Gulf of Mexico Sea Grant Science Outreach Publications - August 31, 2023
- How Hot Can You Go? Warmer bay waters and the thermal maximums of estuarine creatures - August 31, 2023